|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
ALVINA BENNETT MACKIN
Alvina was born April 22, 1883, at the site of Banning Creek that is now covered by Goldwater Lake in Groom Creek. Her parents were Charles Henry and Alvina Bennett.
On April 2, 1902, she married Peter Mackin, superintendent of Silver King Mine. They lived at Old Halfway House, a stagecoach stop. Alvina was a ranch woman who raised her seven children by herself after the death of her husband on November 25, 1917. Her children were Peter Emmett, Evelyn Zuchero, George (1904), Joseph, Lester, Alice Gilmore McGinty and Mary Archer.
One of her family said of her, "...a woman who reflected all the qualities of courage and love so necessary to her time." She was a Yavapai Cowbelle and belonged to the Moose Lodge and the "Old Timers" Club.
Alvina married Claude Clyburn in 1924 and spent the rest of her days in Prescott. "She had little else but faith, courage and the determination of all pioneer women." Her sidesaddle and branding irons are in the Sharlot Hall Museum.
Alvina Bennett Mackin Clyburn died on November 13, 1945, in her home on South Marina Street. "We lost the Mom of all Moms, but the memories we shall always cherish are priceless."
Alvina's mother Alvina Maria Rodriguez Bennett, her sisters-in-law Catherine Cecilia Healy Bennett and Fannie Elizabeth Lindsay Bennett, and her daughter Evelyn Mackin Zuchero are also commemorated in the Rose Garden.
Donor: George Mackin
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|