|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
BLANCH JULIA WHITE
Blanche, daughter of Fergus John and Mary Ellen (Dwyer) White, was born on April 23, 1888, at Minnehaha, Arizona Territory. Her parents owned a 160-acre land grant and ran a cattle ranch that provided meat to the miners. Blanche helped her mother and siblings run the ranch and take care of the home.
In 1910, Blanche moved with her mother to Prescott and worked at the boarding house that her mother owned and operated. She also worked as a secretary at the Bank of Prescott. In 1919, Mary White bought 160 acres of land in the Phoenix/Tolleson area. Blancheís sister Minnie and husband Arthur Webster bought 40 acres from Mary. Blanche bought 40 acres on which she ran a small ranch.
When her mother died in 1924, Blanche took on the responsibility of caring for her brother Nicholas, who had Downs syndrome. In addition, she continued to run her 40-acre ranch as well as her motherís 80 acres. Because she was taking care of her brother and both properties without help, it became more than she could handle. She sold her 40 acres and took over her motherís 80 acres. After her brotherís death in 1936, she sold her property and moved to Phoenix.
Although Blanche never married, her extended family was large. She actively participated in the lives of her family members. She contributed both financially and emotionally to all members of her family. For example, she often bought school clothes for her great nieces and nephews. She was a generous and humble woman who never asked for anything in return.
Blanche died on November 5, 1976, in Phoenix and was buried in St. Francis Catholic Cemetery. Her sister Minnie White Webster and her mother Mary Ellen Dwyer White are also commemorated in the Rose Garden.
Donor: Barbara Downing, great niece
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|