|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
BLANCHE GERMOND JOLLY LEWIS
Blanche Germond Jolly Lewis was born July 5, 1899, in Versaille, Illinois, daughter of Leslie Combs Jolly and Harriet Belle Bradbury Jolly.
She came to the Prescott/Jerome area in 1906. Blanche graduated from Clarkdale High School and attended both the University of Colorado Teachers' College at Boulder and Tempe Teachers' College, now Arizona State University.
In July 1920, Blanche married Franklin Lewis, a crane operator in Yavapai County. Blanche and Lewis had 12 children: James Leslie, Mary Louise Rothfuss, Frances Jean Sutton, Josephine Jones, June Pedone, Elizabeth Ann Spunlock, Dorothy Mae Thum, Velma Harriet Rezzonico, John Franklin, Charles William, Ronald Earl and Donald Lee.
In addition to being mother and homemaker, she also worked for the Clarkdale First National Bank, Selma's Grocery in Clarkdale, Phelps Dodge and a Prescott credit union. She did not retire from commercial employment until the age of 75.
Blanche was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church, the Salvation Army,
a founding member of the Zonta Club/Toastmistress Club and active in the Business and Professional Women's Club. She was named its Woman of the Year.
Blanche was very involved with her children, school and community and devoted much time and effort to her civic organizations. She had the "true pioneer spirit" of never neglecting her responsibilities and duties.
Blanche died on June 17, 1991, and was buried at Redwood Memorial Gardens in Dewey, Arizona.
Donors: Josephine Lewis Jones and her brothers and sisters
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|