|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
CAROLINE E. STEPHENS JONES WEAVER
Caroline, known as Carrie, was born on January 30, 1849, in Athens, Missouri, the daughter of Nancy A. Bell and Varney A. Stephens of Jacksonville, Illinois. She came with her family to Prescott in 1864, just as the town was beginning. Her father was joint owner of the Kelly-Stephens Store in Prescott.
On July 8, 1869, Carrie married Benjamin Henry Weaver, one of the owners of the Arizona Miner newspaper, who had come West with Richard McCormick. They had six children: Benjamin (1873), Cora Johns (1869), Georgia Aitken (1871), Pearl Wilson (1879), Josephine Edith Baehr (1877), and Dotty (1884-1885).
"In his domestic relations, Mr. Weaver has been blessed," noted the Miner.
The Weavers built a home at 320 S. Marina. Carrie belonged to the Rebekah Lodge and the Congregational Church.
Carrie died on October 6, 1915, and was buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.
Donor: Mrs. Ben Weaver
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|