|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
CLARA BEAUCHAMP FORD
Clara was born in London, England, on September 6, 1849, the daughter of Anne Foxe and Frederick Beauchamp. She lived in Australia until 1876. Her first long dress for her 16th birthday was made of black satin with a hoop skirt and a train.
She answered an advertisement of General O. B. Wilcox seeking a lady to aid his invalid daughter and in raising his two sons. Thus she came with the Wilcox household to Ft. Whipple in April 1877.
During the journey, she became acquainted with George William Ford, a Commissary Sergeant. On November 10, 1878, they were married at General Wilcox's home and moved into Prescott, homesteading near Granite Creek.
The young couple opened their own store in 1882. After the death of George in 1903, Clara took in sewing at her residence at 238 North Montezuma Street.
Her children were George Frederick (1879-1889), Florence (Mrs. Maurice) Tribby (1882), Elsie (Mrs. William Gaskarth) Greenwood (1885), Arizona (Mrs. Harry) Goodwin, and Anna (Mrs. Emil) Michel.
Clare died in 1946 and was buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.
Donor: Elsie Greenwood
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|