|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
DORA VIRGINIA ROSENBLATT HEAP
Dora, daughter of Paul G. and Dora Cordelia Leach Rosenblatt, was born in Prescott on October 16, 1906. She attended Lincoln and Washington Elementary schools and was graduated from Prescott High School in 1924, where she was active in athletics (captain of the girl’s basketball team) and in dramatics. The class prophecy in the 1924 high school yearbook reads: “Dora Rosenblatt has become one of the best revivalists of the time. She has done more, perhaps, than anyone else to abolish dancing, smoking, card playing and cosmetics in Arizona.”
Dora was graduated from Tempe Normal School and returned to Prescott in 1926 to teach first, second and third grades and coach boys’ basketball at Miller Valley Elementary School. A Prescott High School romance led to the wedding in Greenwich, Connecticut, of Dora and Joe Heap, son of Harry and Helen Wells Heap, on April 4, 1929, just before Joe’s graduation from Dartmouth. Helen Heap is also represented in the Rose Garden. The couple had one daughter, "Pudsy" (Mrs. Wallace Welch).
Dora organized and chaired the Republican Women of Yavapai County and played an active role in Barry Goldwater’s 1964 presidential campaign. She belonged to the Yavapai Community Hospital Auxiliary. A member of the Hassayampa Country Club, she was the runner-up in the State Ladies’ Golf Tournament in 1954. Dora sang at the Elks Opera House for many years and was known to area residents as "Prescott’s Own Songbird."
The Heaps lived at 940 Country Club Drive. From 1965 to her retirement in 1972, Dora was the director of the Sharlot Hall Museum. Her mother, Dora Cordelia Rosenblatt Walker and her sisters, Pauline Gerhardt Rosenblatt Tovrea, Louise Caroline Rosenblatt Lynch and Bertha Louise Rosenblatt Scholey Boone, as well as her grandmother, Dora Leach Russell, are all commemorated in the Rose Garden.
Dora died on June 29, 1984, and her ashes are interred in the Mountain View Mausoleum.
Donor: Rose Garden Club
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|