|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
GRACE MARIAN SPARKES
Grace was born in Lead, South Dakota, on January 21, 1893, the daughter of Thomas J. and Mary Ann Martin Sparkes. After living briefly in Alaska, the family came to Prescott in 1907 and Grace graduated from St. Joseph's Academy in 1910. She was also graduated from Lamson Business College in Phoenix.
In 1938, Grace moved to Texas Canyon, where she operated the Texas Mine. Nicknamed "Babe," Grace was an active worker in Prescott, pioneering such projects as the Arizona Pioneers' Home and the Coronado National Memorial in the Huachuca Mountains.
She was secretary of the Yavapai County Chamber of Commerce for 33 years, resigning in 1945. She was secretary of the Prescott Frontier Days Association for 30 years and Arena Director for the Fourth of July rodeo. She is credited with Prescott's slogan "Cowboy Capital of the World."
Grace was a member of the Monday Club and a promoter of the Hassayampa Hotel.
She made President Coolidge an honorary Smoki. As chairman of the Yavapai County CWA (Civil Works Administration)in 1933-34, she was instrumental in the establishment of the Sharlot Hall Museum's "House of a Thousand Hands." This building is the stone Sharlot Hall Exhibition Building, having it designated as eligible for state financial aid.
Grace's hobbies were hiking, mining, horseback riding and reading. Because of her effective interest in public welfare and her estimable personal qualities, she had an extensive acquaintance and was highly esteemed by all who knew her. She was selected to the Arizona Hall of Fame in 1985.
Graces's mother and her sister, Charity Bones, are also represented in the Rose Garden. Grace was a Catholic belonging to the Sacred Heart Parish. Following her resignation from the Chamber, Grace concentrated on her mining interests. She owned the White Spar Nos. 1-8, the April Fool, the Old Sawmill Mine, and the State of Texas Mine near Bisbee. In later years, she worked for and at the Coronado National Monument.
Grace died on October 22, 1963, in Bisbee, Arizona, and was buried in Mountain View Cemetery.
Donors : The Museum Rose Garden Committee
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|