|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
ISABELLE SAGEMAN SHULL (FORREST) FOREST
Isabelle was born on September 19, 1864, in Chatham, England, the daughter of Phillip Sageman (aka Woodman). She came to Arizona in 1873 with the Callen Party in a wagon train. She went to the log school on Granite Creek and attended school for two years in California.
On January 4, 1879, Isabelle married John Thomas Shull, who owned the Plaza Livery Stables, located where the Prescott Post Office now stands. Their children were Gideon, born 1881; Charles, born 1883; Ethel Biles, born 1885; Marguerite Buckley, born 1891; and John, born 1893.
Isabelle always loved the big Arizona white oak tree that she used to see on her way to school, so her husband built the house for her there at 225 South Cortez. The oak in front of the house was made the official Bicentennial Tree of Prescott on April 30, 1976.
Isabelle was a remarkable cook and housekeeper. Many a lonely man from the mining camps ate at her table or was nursed through sickness by her capable hands. After John died in 1899, Isabelle continued to run the stables until 1902.
She also ran a cooking school, training Chinese boys to be cooks for the mining camps. She found time for art and took painting lessons from the wife of a Ft. Whipple officer. She studied and taught music, art, china painting, and oil and watercolor painting. Isabelle often won prizes at the Arizona State Fair.
She married J. C. Forest, a Prescott lawyer on May 20, 1894. Isabelle was a member of Rebekah Lodge and the Monday Club and belonged to the Episcopal Church. She died on September 9, 1934. Furniture from the Shull home is on display in the Fremont House of the Sharlot Hall Museum.
Donor: Mrs. David Biles and Mrs. Buckley
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|