|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
MARGARET B. MACKAY FLINN
Maggie, also called Peggy, was born on April 27, 1873, near Wallace, Nova Scotia, Canada. She came to Arizona in 1898 and to Prescott in 1901.
In 1893, she married Dr. John W. Flinn, an authority on tuberculosis, and she helped him establish PAMSETGAAF Sanatorium (Pure Air Mountain Sunshine Equitable Temperature Good Accommodations Abundant Food) on Willow Street off West Gurley. She was a "beloved administrator who managed the feeding and care of patients," according to ECHOES OF THE PAST II.
Margaret shared her husband's interest by working with the dietary needs of patients. The Flinns lived at 102 South Willow, and Peggy belonged to Sacred Heart Catholic Church. They had five children: Mary, Margie (Mrs. S. W.) Ensminger, Dr. Robert, John S., and Dr. Zebub, who pre-deceased Maggie.
Maggie and John celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 1943. John died in November 1944, Maggie in October 1950, and both were buried in Mountain View Cemetery.
The Flinn Foundation funded the Geriatrics Resource Center for Prescott and a building erected in the 1980s at the Yavapai Regional Medical Center that bears their name.
Donor: Margie Ensminger
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|