|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
ROSALIND BANGHART WELLS
Rosalind, known as Rose, was born on February 28, 1853, one of the beautiful daughters of Mary and George Washington Banghart, Arizona pioneers of 1866. She grew up at the Banghart Stage Station in Chino Valley.
On October 5, 1869, she married Edmund W. Wells, president of the Bank of Arizona of Prescott and U.S. District Court Judge. Mr. Wells ran unsuccessfully on the Republican ticket in the race for the first governor of the State of Arizona.
The Wells' home, built in 1870 in Victorian Italianate style, is at 303 South Cortez Street. In 1900, the Wells signed the incorporation papers of the First Church of Christ Scientist in Prescott.
Rose also belonged to the Eastern Star. Their six children were: Edmund Jr., Frank O., Gertie Wilson, Irene Harris and Helen Heap, who is also represented in the Rose Garden. (sixth?)
Rose died on June 14, 1922, and was inurned in the mausoleum at Mountain View Cemetery.
Donor: Helen Heap
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|